Congrats! You did It!
We can count the 2018-19 school year as yet another major win for our scholars, parents, teachers, staff and school community.
Because of your hard work, tenacious pursuit of excellence and love for our scholars, we have experienced a year of record achievement – in student performance and in the growth of our footprint throughout the District.
There’s so much to celebrate!
- Our engaging early childhood education program is recognized as one of D.C.’s best!
- From Puerto Rico to Providence, our middle and high school students are broadening their perspectives through travel and college dual enrollment.
- At this year’s citywide STEM Fair, Friendship students not only won numerous awards including First Place Grand Prize for their invention, the “Safety Zipper” – they excelled among over 20 other public and independent schools, competed internationally and are pursuing a patent for their one-of-a-kind invention. And by the way, Friendship is also home to Google’s D.C. Science Fair winner.
Wait, there’s more!
- Our 2019 graduating class includes five Google Computer Science scholars and a Gates Scholarship winner. Not to mention, our graduates collectively earned over $6 million in scholarships!
- Friendship’s Performing Arts program is on fire! Students performed at the Kennedy Center and wowed us with Broadway classics like “The Wiz” and a Summer Arts Festival.
- At our 1st Annual Community Planting Day, neighbors and friends joined us as we added timeless beauty to our city blocks. And visit any of our campuses and you’ll see bee harvesting, an urban chicken coop and garden boxes with everything from rosemary to azaleas!
If that’s not enough, our classroom teachers were selected from thousands of applicants for prestigious awards including D.C.’s Sanford Teacher’s Award and the Greater Washington Reading Council’s Reading Teacher of the Year and Reading Administrator of the Year.
And because of all you do, more students and families will grow from a Friendship education. We’ll start the 2019-20 school year with three new schools – Friendship Ideal Elementary and Middle in Ward 4, Friendship Armstrong Middle in Ward 5 and scholars from City Arts & Prep.
These are just a few of the accomplishments from a school year we can all be proud of.
Great teaching and learning is happening every day, in every classroom, on every Friendship campus. But I think what is equally important is the relationships we cherish. Relationships with our students and families, and with each other. At the foundation of our success are our deep-rooted ties wrapped in commitment, compassion, respect and genuine love. It is these relationships that encourage us to rise above the odds and inspires us to never stop aiming higher.
Take this moment to celebrate your success. Let it soak in. And this summer, recharge. You’ve earned it!
Thank you for all you do for our schools and scholars!