Every moment we have with our students matters. That’s why we provide Friendship Cares, one of the most comprehensive and engaging extended-day programs in the District.
Friendship Cares is offered at the following schools:
- Friendship Armstrong Elementary (pre-K3-5)
- Friendship Blow Pierce Elementary (pre-K3-8)
- Friendship Chamberlain Elementary (pre-K3-8)
- Friendship Southeast Elementary (pre-K3-5)
- Friendship Woodridge Intl. Elementary (pre-K3-8)
Friendship Cares hours of operation:
- Before care: 7:00 a.m. – 7:55 a.m
- After care: 3:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Early Release Thursday: 1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friendship Cares operates on most half-days and non-school days.
Friendship Cares provides two distinct pathways:
- The Early Childhood Pathway is designed for students in pre-K3-4, with a focus on early literacy development through read alouds, dramatic play and lessons that teach students to positively self-regulate their emotions.
- The Junior Scholars Pathway is designed for students in kindergarten and older, with an academic focus on homework assistance in mathematics and reading using resources including i-Ready – an online, teacher-led learning tool.
Staffed by early childhood professionals, Friendship Cares maintains a staff-to-student ratio that never exceeds 1:15.
Please note Friendship Cares is a licensed, fee-based childcare program. The weekly fee is $70 for before and after care, and $25 weekly for before care only. (The $25 weekly before-care fee does not include after care on Early Release Thursdays.) Subsidized childcare is available to parents who qualify.
Current Friendship Cares parents:
- Credit card payments can be made online at our Parent Portal.
- Your feedback is important. Please complete our Online Survey.
New Friendship Cares parents:
- Enrollment is on-going throughout the school year, and must be completed online through the Parent Portal.
- Click here to open an account and complete an application. There are no paper applications.
- The online application and all OSSE required forms must be completed and approved before your child is fully admitted and can start the program.
- Friendship Cares is fee based. Parents pay a weekly fee or are eligible for a subsidy.
- Interested in subsidized childcare? Click here to contact our eligibility specialist.
For questions, contact Friendship’s Office of Extended Learning Programs at 202.281.1700 or email@example.com.