Please Note: No medication will be administered at school in the absence of a complete, approved Authorization For Administering Medication Form.
In the event that a parent requests that a student take medication during the school day, please follow these procedures.
- The Authorization for Administering Medication form must be completed by the parent or guardian. (Please see your child’s school nurse to receive form).
- The Authorization for Administering Medication form must be completed by the physician.
- The completed Authorization for Administering Medication form must be on file at school before the medication can be administered at school.
- The medication must be in the original labeled container as dispensed or in the manufacturer’s labeled container. The label must contain the student’s name, name of the medication and directions for use and date.
- Parents or other authorized adults must transport medications and medical supplies to and from school; students may not carry medications or supplies unless it is an inhaler for asthma (please also see school nurse)
- All unused medications that have not been picked up by parents by the last day of each school year will be discarded by health office staff.
- Immediate written notification of changes must be provided to the school by the parent/guardian.
- Annual renewal of authorization is required.